Louisiana State Bar - Badge
Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization 1993 - Badge
Baton Rouge Bar Association - Badge
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit - Badge
Seal of The Supreme Court of The United States - Badge
Association of Family and Conciliation Courts - Badge

There’s no Place Like Home: Same Sex Marriage and Divorce in Louisiana


Gay and lesbian couples who were legally married in Delaware or Minnesota may feel like strangers in a strange land in Louisiana. Although New Orleans has a vibrant gay and lesbian community and Baton Rouge’s “gay-friendly” 2014 ranking has increased to 22 points out of a possible 100 in the Human Rights Campaign’s third annual Municipal Equality Index, neither city’s courts provide access to divorcing same sex spouses. The lack of access is due to Louisiana’s definition of marriage as a civil contract between a man and a woman.

Divorce and its related proceedings such as spousal support and the use and division of community property are derivatives of marriage. Without marriage, there are no such remedies. What can a gay or lesbian couple do if they were legally married elsewhere but now wish to be divorced in Louisiana? There is no clear answer to this question, at least for now. It may be of some comfort to such couples that as far as Louisiana courts are concerned, their marriage is a nullity ab initio (from the beginning). If there is no marital property, no children, and no need for one of them to support the other, they may be able to follow Paul Simon’s musical advice and just “slip out the back, Jack” and “make a new plan Stan”. Before doing so, however, it is imperative that they obtain legal advice to make sure that neither is overlooking an economic connection between them that cannot be broken without legal action.

But what if there is a need for a court to decide issues concerning marital property, and children, and a need for spousal support? Where can same sex couples go if not to Louisiana courts? Such issues are ordinarily decided by the court that has jurisdiction of a couple’s marital status. Jurisdiction over marital status is usually vested in the court where one of them is domiciled or where their last matrimonial domicile was located.

One unsatisfying solution may be for one of the spouses to move back to the state where they were legally married and establish a domicile there. Such states, having approved same sex marriage, should have laws applicable to same sex divorce. Delaware and Minnesota both have laws that give their courts jurisdiction over divorcing same sex couples who were married there but moved away. Ironically, the difficulties faced by gay and lesbian married couples who wish to divorce may increase the likelihood that they stay married – just as heterosexual couples did before the days of quick no fault divorces. The bottom line is that if you are a legally married same sex spouse and you want a divorce, you need legal advice.

What Our Clients Say

I hired Louis to represent me in my custody battle. From the start he was upfront and honest with me, if he said he was going to do something he did it and he never attempted to settle for anything less than what I was asking. He was not afraid to go head to head with opposing counsel which is what...


I had no idea how to even look for an attorney when I found myself needing one. Mr. Cosenza is the best attorney I have encountered, and I took a lot of time finding one. He is brilliant in matters of the law. He approached my case from every angle. I am so thankful he was my attorney. I started out...


My journey with Mr. Cosenza began nearly 3 years ago when I contacted him about divorce proceedings. During our initial consultation he told me exactly what to expect and we discussed cost, which I thought reasonable. After retaining him as my attorney and finalizing my divorce, things became fairly...


Working with Louis Cosenza truly helped to make my very difficult emotional and legal situation feel much more comfortable as I knew his experience and expertise was there to support and guide me. He knows the law and he does his very best to use that knowledge to represent his clients in and out of...


I would like to start by saying I am from TX and my ex wife tried to file a judgment in LA. I contacted a number of lawyers that explained to me that this maybe a process that they could look into. I spoke with Mr. Cosenza with his 30 plus year of experience and he assured me this was not going to...


Contact Us

  1. 1 Over 40 Years Experience
  2. 2 Personalized Legal Representation
  3. 3 Serving the Greater Baton Rouge Area
Fill out the contact form or call us at 225-647-6644 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message